Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Not Going to Big League Anyone Here

I bought a box of Topps Big League.. With it being $60 CDN I figured I could treat myself a little.

I wasn't sure what to expect with the product, but I actually really like it. To me, it feels like a set from the early 1990s.. 

But why talk about it when I can show it??


Solarte as a Jay.. I believe it's the first card showing him as a Jay.


Russell Martin. Of course, I would need multiple copies of this one. 


Richard Urena.. He had some action with the team last season.. Not really much this year though. 


Hey... I guess I can say I have an Otani rookie now??





More Jays.. Obviously I'll highlight these.. 


There are some legends in the set as well. I wanted to show Wagner.
I also got Koufax, Ryan, Bo Jackson, Ted Williams, Jeff Bagwell


Edwin Encarnacion still looks odd in that uniform. 


James Paxton is a Canadian, therefore I must collect him. 


Some other rookies. 

One of the things I like about this set is the back of the card..


The "Did You Know" facts are rather interesting in some cases. 



How much of a fluke is it to have ALL your shutouts occur at home??


I like the fact they show Thames' stats from Korea here. 


Caricature cards. They're not bad. I think I'd only want the Stroman one. These ones are up for grabs.



Ministers of Mash is another interesting insert. Again, not one I'm planning on pursuing. If you see something of these ones, let me know..

Incidentally, the Cruz scans better than it reads in hand. 


I ended up getting a Black and White parallel card. I'm not planning on going after that set. 
The other eight cards shown... Well... I'm not sure what they're called.. They don't have them on the Trading Card Database. 
Again.. I'm not keeping these ones. 


Ones I AM keeping though, are the Gold parallel.. I actually like the way they look. 
I also happened to get Hank Aaron and George Brett here. 

All in all, I'd like to complete this set. It'll be interesting to see how insane the variations end up going for.. But I'd like to complete both the base and Gold.. 

I'm impressed with this set.. I'd say this is my favourite set of the year. I'm not overly interested in flagship this year. 

And... In the box I received.. I had exactly ONE duplicate.. And it's Stanton.. So if anyone wants it... Let me know. 

11 comments:

  1. Looks like a nice break for the price..Target didn't have any when I went there a few days ago. Hopefully I'll get some in trades.

    I'm not impressed with the caricature cards, but the other inserts are okay. And you hit it out of the park with the parallels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't want to show all the Golds since there was one per pack.

      Delete
  2. This is a really good set, it looks like. If I collected baseball I'd be trying to build this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd be happy to take any Dodgers you're not keeping.

    That was a pretty good box there for what little I know about the set. Some of the cards are kind of neat while I think others are very, very average.

    Also the backs remind me very much of another set, but I need to see some myself to confirm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seems to be the norm for sets I think. Every card can't be amazing, but every card can be "meh" if that makes sense..
      I've put aside the Dodgers from what I'm trading off aside for you.

      Delete
  4. Those other 8 are the "Players Weekend" variations. This is my favorite set of the year, as well. I've got four blasters sitting on the desk right now... hoping for good collation on the way to my set build!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I broke half a box the other day and really liked it. It's simple yet fun. The legends cards are my favorite though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If this stuff was on clearance, I might pick up a box to see if I could pull an Ohtani. But it'd have to be cheap. Normally I'm an insert and parallel kind of guy... but they aren't really doing anything for me. Although... I love the action shot on that Brett parallel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the fact I was able to get a box for under $100

      Delete
  7. If you are not building the set, I would trade for any Rockies you pulled.

    ReplyDelete