Monday, May 8, 2017

Top Ten Cards: Justin Morneau

There's a contest going on at Collecting Cutch who wants entrants to write about their Top 10 favourite cards of a Player they collect. 

I ran into some problem with this though.. 
Yes, I have players I collect, but I consider myself more of a team collector. The only players I collect are Canadians, and I've covered my favourite repeatedly here already. Other favourite players I have I don't collect for different reasons (Price of some cards, not having many cards, etc) or are part of the team collections. 

So I decided I'd show my Top Ten Favourite Justin Morneau cards.. 

#10

I like this card. I don't know why, really. The uniform top looks airbrushed on. Maybe it's the border. 

#9

Morneau as a Twin. 
I confess I mix up the sets from 2010-2014. I don't remember what year this is.. 2011??
I think I'm drawn to this card because of the concentration on his face. You can see him watching the ball into his glove. 

#8


As much as I confuse the years from 2010-2014 Topps, I know Bowman even less. I don't think it's ever really on my radar. 

Anyway. it looks like Justin is mid Home Run Trot here. 

#7


Bazooka! 
For some reason, I'm thinking this was a uniform the Twins used either as a Sunday Home thing, or was a Throwback night on the road somewhere. I may be wrong though. 

#6


Another Rockies card. This one was from Archives or Heritage.. One of those redundant sets.. 
In any event, the 1983 design is really nice. 

#5


Stadium Club... I really like this card as well. The full photo and no fog/mist/BS.. Just a great photo of Morneau swinging at a pitch. 

#4


This is another one I can't really explain.. I just like it.. It may be a little high if I'm doing a 10-1 list.. I think for the most part, it's in no particular order until #1.. 

#3


One of the few relic cards in my collection. 

#2


This one is interesting, though at the same time, the borders can be a little much. (How many people are this critical about their favourite cards of a favourite player, eh?)

In a way it almost reminds me of the "Special Presentation" graphic TV stations used in the 80s. 

Anyway, Justin on the follow through of his swing.. 

#1


And finally... I really like this one.. The background definitely nails the feeling of the era the cards originally came out in. 
So there you have it.. My Top 10. 





4 comments:

  1. Thanks for entering the contest. I always liked Morneau and for the month plus he was on the Pirates was a great addition to the team. I wonder what could have been if the Pirates had resigned him for the 2014 season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome selection of Morneau cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #9 is from 2012 Topps. Surprising number of Rockies cards in here given that he played for the Twins so much longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.. Like I said, I get them confused..

      Delete