Sunday, April 19, 2020

5 Things I Like, 5 I Don't..

I've been putting this off for a while.. 
I saw this being done and while I like the concept and wanted to put my twist on it, I couldn't bring myself to sit down and actually WRITE anything.. 
I still have a bunch of content for this blog, but I have had ZERO motivation to do a thing.. 

Anyway.. I decided to jump on the wagon here.. 

I'll do the Negative first, just to give us a Good thing to end on.. 

5 Things I Don't Like

1. My brain. 
Well, this is a love/hate thing. I love the fact that it's there and I use it etc.. I hate some of the thoughts it puts into my consciousness. I hate the depression and anxiety I deal with. The constant feeling that I'm not enough.. That I deserve to be alone and that nobody would truly even notice my not being here. 

2. Minis/Coins
I'm not really a fan of the coins and mini cards that have been popular the last while. I know the minis put out by A&G, GQ, etc are throwbacks to the old Tobacco releases. But at the same time, they get to be annoying if you don't have the proper storage/pages for them.. 

3. The "Angry Birds" Jays Logo


I've voiced my displeasure over these uniforms and logos before. This was the period in time where "Blue" was taboo apparently. I liked every Jays uniform and logo aside from this one. 

4. The New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox



The teams both play in the same division as Toronto. 
But that's not the reason.. 
The reason is the entitlement I hear from both sets of fans.. Yankees fans believe they should be annointed a spot in the World Series Opening Day. I read people saying if this season happens with the Grapefruit/Cactus Leagues that "Yankees won't lose a game.. Just give us the Division" 
The Red Sox fans are not quite there for entitlement, but up there for obnoxiousness. Maybe it's a Boston sports trait.. I notice the same thing in Bruins fans. 

5. Redundant Card Sets/Not Listening to Collectors

There are 33 Topps branded sets in retail release in 2019. That's not including the Online exclusives.
We had 8 Bowman sets

Of the 8 Bowman sets we have two draft products, Base, Chrome, Heritage, Platinum, Sterling, and Best
Now.. I don't care about Bowman in the slightest since they're all over the place with numbering and what belongs to what set.. (when you have the same numbering system used in 3 products it's VERY annoying.. Especially when you also have CHROME in those products) 
With Topps, you know we have the Base, Opening Day, Update. 3 Chrome products, Big League, Allen and Ginter, Allen and Ginter X, Gypsy Queen, Three Archives products, Heritage, Tribute, Inception, Transcendent, Fire, Tek, Diamond Icons, Museum Collection, etc etc etc.. 

Now I know some of these products are aimed at "higher end" collectors.. And that's fine..
To me we don't need Two A&G sets. We can consolidate the Archives into One. 
Some of these, I'd (I know this suggestion will be blasphemy) but say for Heritage.. Consolidate Bowman and Topps Heritage 
Consolidate the Chrome
Big League is great for what it is.. An accessible set with not a lot of gimmicks. 
Some of these high end sets could go to online distribution and they could put Total into the retail wilds. 
Would anyone be upset if they had to order their Fire Or High Tek or Inception online?? 

Oh.. And for Bowman.... FIX THE NUMBERING AND CROSS SET INSERTS!!!!!!

*Big sigh and releases breath, calming down*

There.. I did it like that for a reason.. Why leave all worked up? 

Now... 

5 Things I Like

1. My Job

I really truly enjoy my job as a bus driver. I feel we have a very underrated effect on children and their education. I feel we can help set their days by simply being pleasant to them. I always greet them by name when they walk on my bus. 

2. The Card Collecting Communities

I've come across some amazing people online. People in the blogging community, the Twitter community, the Facebook community, and the Team Collectors. 
Through Twitter, I've found the Team Collectors, I've found First Row Collectibles. I've found bloggers I enjoy on Twitter and on the Trading Card Database. 
For the most part they're all supportive and understanding.

3. Ballparks

This one is fairly easy to get.. Close your eyes.. well.. Maybe wait until you're done reading this... 
But Close your eyes..
Say the word Ballpark
What comes to mind? 

Yankee Stadium.. Fenway Park.. Wrigley Field.. PNC.. Dodger Stadium.. Polo Grounds.. 

A field of green with odd quirks along the fencing and the facade. The only constant is the 90 foot square in the middle. 

But I love finding out about the parks. I love collecting cards on ballparks. 

4. Out of the Park Baseball

I love playing baseball management sims. I used to play Baseball Mogul for years but got into Out of the Park. It's deeper than Mogul, with almost limitless options to play. 
I'm playing a game I started in 2019.. And at the start of the 2022 season, the Miami Marlins moved to Austin Texas. I'm thinking about doing a simulation of a thought experiment I saw on Twitter based on this what if.. "What If the Dodgers never left Brooklyn?" 

5. Everyone reading this Blog 

Yeah I guess this is a mushy copout, but really.. I'd be writing this for practice and no real reason if I didn't have people like you reading my drivel. 

14 comments:

  1. A lot I agree on with both sides - the angry Jays and entitlement, and ballparks and Sims. I spent so much time with Tony Larissa in the late 90s, even if the stats ended up getting really wonky with starters lasting only a few innings when you SIM...but I digress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to play Tony LaRussa on the Genesis. Bunt home runs were a thing..
      Bunt flies off the bat and over the fence lol

      Delete
  2. I guess the Mets wouldn't exist. The Dodgers would be in the NL East. L.A. would have gotten an expansion team at some point. So this is where it gets interesting. Does the expansion team stink so much that they struggle to gain popularity in an area where there's plenty to do other than go to a baseball game? Does San Diego get a team earlier? Are the Padres more popular with the L.A. / S.D. tweeners? So they generate more revenue and can pay for better players?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that you decided to give this a go! So many people seem to dislike their jobs (or even having to work at all) these days, so it's nice to hear about someone who does enjoy what they do. And I agree with your sentiment about how important a bus driver can be to the kids that they're driving. Oh, and fellow bloggers are indeed awesome, they're the only reason that I've stuck with this blogging thing for so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As with everything, there are things I'd change about the job but overall it's a great job.
      I feel that just as having a consistent teacher is good, a consistent bus driver is good.

      Delete
  4. LOL, 8 Bowman sets. Yeah, that's obnoxious, and totally unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does ANYONE like that Jays logo? Especially compared to some of the really great logos and uniform sets Toronto has had over the years?

    I see your point about the mind-numbing quantity of different sets released, but I think it's necessary for Topps to make real money. They pay a lot for the exclusive license and they need to sell a lot of product, but if you produce too much of a given set you get a junk wax situation. And while people probably wouldn't mind buying more products on line, it would hurt local card shops and dealers who sell current products at shows. And those people are hurting in a big way right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True..
      But how many people would have bought Total if it was released the traditional way compared to online? I would have bought it. Online issues aren't a consideration for me.
      The multiple variation of sets is also at play here.. Do we really need two Allen and Ginter sets? Do we really need chrome inserts/parallel in base then a separate Chrome release? That's all I'm saying.

      Delete
    2. Oh, I totally agree that Total should have been distributed to hobby and retail.

      Delete
  6. I agree with much of what you listed in the post. I especially enjoyed the bus driver part. I just got my license this spring and was able to drive the kids twice before Covid-19 turned things upside down.
    Also, I recognized the logos and uniform template from OOTP and I was sooooo hoping OOTP was one of your five things you like. I, too, started with Mogul, but switched to OOTP in 2004 or so. I've had a love-hate relationship with it ever since. I absolutely love playing it, but I hate how five hours can go by playing it and I don't realize it! LOL I just found out Nick (from Dime Boxes) plays also. I've never done an online league through OOTP, but I'd be winning to try a blogger one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOTP and Civ 5 are like that for me. One minute it's 5pm, next thing you know it's 11pm lol

      Delete
  7. Everyone's got at least a little bit of #1, trust me.
    Totally with you on Bowman, Amen!
    And the exclusives have got to go. Let the companies diversify their products and they won't have to make so much to earn the same cash.
    It's amazing how many bloggers are involved with school systems. I'm sitting on the tech support line as I type this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to hear you have to deal with anxiety and depression. It's been over a year since I've had my last anxiety attack, but I know it's with me from here on out and I'm very sympathetic with others who deal with it. And the whole Topps having a monopoly on the MLB license is driving me nuts. Why do they think we need 33 sets in single year? And 8 Bowman sets? C'mon. Talk about flooding the hobby with redundant crap.

    On the bright side... it's nice to hear that you love your job... and the impact you have on the kids you see on a regular basis (except for when we're in the middle of a pandemic).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both times I've had to take time off I could see the happiness and excitement when I returned. That shows me I have an impact on their lives.
      I'm just worried that if Panini could make licensed sets we would end up with 70 sets since they both would just spew sets. I know we won't get back to three or four sets. But consolidation can happen and should happen

      Delete