Sunday, July 2, 2023

Signature Sundays - July 2

 Hello Friends!

It's Sunday! Meaning it's another day I pull an autographed care out of my collection.. 


Rounding out the Canadian weekend that is Canada Day weekend, we have an autograph of a Canadian player who stuck around for a number of years and had a pretty good career..



Matt Stairs! 

In his 19 year career, he played for 13 teams. 
Montreal, Oakland, Boston, Cubs, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Toronto, Texas, Detroit, Philadelphia, San Diego, and Washington.

(Montreal and Washington are different!) 

It's funny.. His Nicknames according to Baseball Reference are Wonder Hamster and Newf.. 

The problem of course is.... Newf is used for those from Newfoundland. Stairs is from New Brunswick.. 

Anyway.. I know the Star Spangled Spectacle of July 4 is coming up soon.. As many of my American friends wished me a Happy Canada Day, I wish you all a happy and safe Independence Day..


3 comments:

  1. A pretty good career! Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Stairs mainly for his time with Oakland. He was a big bat for the A's for several seasons. Leaf chose an interesting photo of him for that card. I'm off to COMC to find myself a copy for my 1996 Leaf Signature A's team set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder Hamster isn't a very flattering nickname.

    ReplyDelete