Thursday, August 6, 2026

A Topic Done to Death

 Hello Friends!

Today's post comes from a conversation on a discord server, where people were talking about Eric Young Sr, who played for the Rockies among others. They referred to him as E.Y.. 
Now, being a wrestling fan, E.Y. is a different Eric Young. The one that is most famous for his runs in TNA. 

So this got me thinking... How many cross-sport same namers do we have? I Mean the whole Bob Gibson and Jim Hunter thing has been done, dragged around, beaten to death, reanimated, beaten to death again, burned, used as fertilizer, and finally reborn just to be fodder AGAIN... 


The two that stick out to me right away are (now) Eric Young.. I couldn't remember the ball player's first name at first until I verified on BBRef... The other one is Greg Gagne.. 


So let's go over a couple (including the two I mentioned) 



This Terry is still alive for one (93) and played in the Majors for 7 seasons, 1960-1966 for Milwaukee, Detroit, and Philadelphia. 


This Terry Fox is obviously better known in Canada, however, he was a 20 something kid who, aftre losing his leg to cancer, decided to run across Canada to fundraise for Canceer research. He made it from Newfoundland to Thunder Bay, Ontario when he had to stop due to cancer returning. He has a memorial statue outside Thunder Bay, and the stretch from Nipigon to Thunder Bay is the Terry Fox Courage Highway. 
There is an annual Terry Fox run to raise money for Cancer Research. 


And here we have a card from Gummy Arts. 


Mike Tyson played from 1972-1981 for the Cardinals and the Cubs. 


The more known Tyson is the boxer. Ol' Bitey Ear himself. Many championships, Boxing HOF.


This one always got me.. Greg Gagne and Greg Gagne. Both in Minneapolis.. The baseball player was on the Twins, Royals, and Dodgers. 


This Greg Gagne was a wrestler for the AWA promotion that ran in Minnesota, the Midwest, and the Prairie provinces in Canada. He is the son of Vern Gagne, the promoter of the territory. 

The only difference is the pronunciation of the last name.. The player was GAG-ne, while the wrestler was Gon-ye... 


Finally Eric Young.. I remember watching this guy play baseball. His son played as well and I believe is a coach somewhere in MLB now. (or it could be SR.. I can't remember.. ) 


Eric Young the wrestler is from Ontario, Canada. As I mentioned, he was best known for his runs in TNA wrestling. He originally was part of a group in TNA called Team Canada. He started as a goofy character and morphed into a more serious, deranged character over the years. He was briefly in WWE as part of a group called SaNiTy..

So these are the ones I  can think of off the top of my head.. Any others, dear reader? Let me know. 








No comments:

Post a Comment